20 Feb 2017

Review: Wayfarers Highway


★★☆☆☆

'' '' Our tale isn't a happy one. It deals with many things that are powerful and dangerous in our time. Worst of all, it's a story that hasn't ended yet. And much of it is happening because Orson here ruined his entire life.'' ''

When I read those words, I had high hopes that the story would take a turn out to be a great one. I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I was looking for something full of humour and fast paced. Instead with widely descriptive language Wayfarers Highway turned out to be something else entirely.

The story is mostly told from the point of view of the protagonist
Orson Gregory. Sometimes the view point changes to Eloise, the one Orson is telling his story to. Although the view points are not told in the beginning of a paragraph or a chapter, they are fairly easily recognisable.

I know that the story is told as a story, a story in a story way, but what I did not understand was why. When one is telling a story, it's expected, that details and wide descriptions are to be used. For my liking there was too much description and too little of the story. Although it's important to know that someone huffed or the room was angular with yellow drapes, but some of it could've been left out. This was a huge minus to my rating.

All in all, a great idea. With some tweaks this could've been awesome from the first till the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment