14 Aug 2019

Review: The Unfettered Child



★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆


From Goodreads:
Her tribe is shattered. Her parents are gone.

When eight-year-old Samara faces the capture of her tribe, an unimaginable power awakens within her. Even as this magic threatens to consume her, a disembodied voice intervenes, offering guidance and helping her control these newfound abilities.

Meanwhile, Samara’s father chases his wife’s captors across an unfamiliar terrain. But can Orin find his wife in time to save her? Will Samara learn to control her power and reunite with her family? And who is the mysterious entity traveling with her?

Let me start by saying I really wanted to stop reading this book at about 10 %. This is definitely not a children's book even though the main character is eight years old. 

This book follows an eight-year-old girl trying to survive after her entire tribe has been killed. If the author wouldn't have reminded me from time to time that she, in fact, is eight, I would have never guessed it. My guess would have put her at maybe fourteen years, or even naive seventeen-year-old. 

The plot contains a lot of violence and gore. There's degrading of people, sexual themes, and gore. The author promised there would be none of those, describing the book to be 'fit for all ages', when he requested the review. In my opinion, that could not be further from the truth. I wanted to discontinue reading many times because of the contents, but I kept on reading until the very last page. The reason for that is to be able to judge the book properly, not just based on a few chapters. 

There is no world-building so following along the characters and being confused most of the time took a toll on the plot. I should've written down the names and tribes/races of the characters whenever there was a new one just to understand their motives later on. 

I really can't recommend this book, if I am being honest. I find no joy in reading a book that is just about killing people and pushing the main character deeper into the abyss of despair with no chance of raising up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment