11 Jun 2018

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)

'' ''You were right,'' -- 'That girl I knew did die Under the Mountain.'' ''

★★★★★

From Goodreads:
Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.


I have stalled long enough. At first, it was only of the fear of having to wait a whole year before the publication of the next book, A Court of Frost and Starlight. Then it was out of fear of what was going to happen in the book. I had heard rumours, rumours of something terrible happening in the book, and I didn't want to know if it was true. Finally, I put my big girl pants on and read it. Slowly, to be honest, but I read it. I had around forty heart-attacks, felt like there was nothing that could make me feel better, and after the last page, descended into the worst book hangover ever. (EDIT 25.06.18: I am still suffering from it.)


I wish I could express what I feel right now. I can't seem to find the words to describe the mad laughter bubbling inside me when I think of ACOWAR. It's maddening to keep all of this inside me, the sadness, the joy, the despair, the tears. Maybe for that reason, I am not an author, but a reader instead. Lately, a bad reader, but I am getting up from the pit this book threw me in.

Sarah J. Maas is known to write plot-twists that break your heart and make you gasp for breath. SHe is known to kill every bit of hope from the reader, and at the same time making them love every second of it. And that's exactly what happened with A Court of Wings and Ruin. It killed me and I loved it.

We see a lot of pain in the book. The consequences of war, betrayal, lost friendships. The characters are put through impossible scenarios, where decisions no one should have to make are made. Where love is the only thing you can trust, but it still is the most fragile thing in the room. Where collateral damage is so heart wrenching but you have no choice but to grieve later. The entire book is a brutal description of war and how it is not just blood and gore, but a waiting game, where the most impatient loses. Where the ones prepared to lose the least are the ones first to go six feet down.

Although it sounds a bit morose, the description I just gave, the book is also about strength. How you can find it at times when you didn't think you had any left. The entire Night Court represents that strength. They are all beaten, broken beyond repair, and they still keep going forward. Still, keep pretending that they can survive under the mountain of responsibilities thrust upon their shoulders.

My copy of A Court of Frost and Starlight is already in the mail and it should arrive any day now. And this time around, I am not waiting a year to even turn the first page.

'' Only you can decide what breaks you, Cursebreaker. Only you. '' 

No comments:

Post a Comment