26 May 2018

Review: The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles #3)

''  Find her. Don't come back without her. Alive or dead, I don't care. Kill them all. But bring her back. ''

★★★★★

From Goodreads:
Lia has survived Venda—but so has a great evil bent on the destruction of Morrighan. And only Lia can stop it.

With war on the horizon, Lia has no choice but to assume her role as First Daughter, as soldier—as leader. While she struggles to reach Morrighan and warn them, she finds herself at cross-purposes with Rafe and suspicious of Kaden, who has hunted her down.

In this conclusion to the Remnant Chronicles trilogy, traitors must be rooted out, sacrifices must be made, and impossible odds must be overcome as the future of every kingdom hangs in the balance.


'' My life had been patched together with lies from the day I was born.
How does it feel?
Old. I was tired of lies. ''

In case you didn't notice, this is the third and final book in The Remnant Chronicles. This piece of text with mindless gushing and fangirling and whatnot review will contain spoilers.
'' What if...
Doubt was a poison I couldn't afford to sip. ''

First of all, I am sad to see them go. I fell in love with the characters. I spent so much time with them. Rooted for them. Cried with them and for them. And now, I have come to the end (Unless the author would so kindly write more emotionally wrecking, suspenseful, magnificent books featuring these characters and their world! Pretty please.).

'' Maybe less could be enough. ''

There have been heartbreaking moments since the first book, but somehow I have the feeling that this was the most heartbreaking one. You already know the characters, their flaws, what makes them tick. So it's fairly easy to kick them under the belt. Fairly easy to hurt them in the way that will leave the deepest wounds. This happened both on the emotional and physical level. As a reader, you yearn for things to take a better turn, to make the characters happy, to give them their own happy ending. But Mary E. Pearson showed all of us that sometimes you have to go through hell a couple of times before any sort of splinter of hope can be thrown your way. And that made the storytelling even more powerful. The way you know that you have to endure all the pain, without certainty that it will end someday. And you still have to feed the shivering spark of hope inside you.

'' ''I am yours, Morrighan, forever yours... and when the last star of the universe blinks silent, I will still be yours.'' ''


We all waited for the conclusion for who the Remnant was. We wanted to know the significance of the Remnant to the novel. We got our answer. And the answer took us even deeper into the world of the Remnant. Shed some light on the tightly kept secrets. Unveiled a story that was heartbreaking and encouraging and empowering at the same time. It's weird when something that destroyed the lives of some can bring a peace of mind for others. I still pick the books up and read the translations of embedded in the book. Every time, I find something slightly new. Something, that chips away small pieces of my heart, letting me feel the despair and the overpowering flood of emotions again.

'' How much could one person lose? ''

I cried so much. Even now, I am on the verge of tears. I can't believe that the series came to its conclusion. I am not ready to let go yet. I have talked a lot about the emotions this book has inflicted on me. Emotions that I didn't know a book could awaken in me, a full rainbow of them. Lia often asks herself ''How much could one person lose?'' The question is hugely relevant part of the entire third book. What are we willing to sacrifice to get to the result we want to? Who are we willing to let go? (I just can't hold the tears back now.)

'' Impossible.
But that hadn't stopped us before. ''
 
This book did the impossible. It intimidated me on the shelf for a year and a half before I gathered the courage to read it. This book planted the seeds of hope, of strength, and of courage, that I couldn't have ever imagined. This book ripped me to pieces, mended me together, and shredded me again, only for me to arise stronger each time. And I know. With absolute certainty, that the story of Jezelia will stay in my heart.

'' For evermore. ''

No comments:

Post a Comment