10 Mar 2017

How I Got Into Reading


Some of us have been reading all of our lives. Some of us started a little later. And some of us are just starting. But the most important thing is that all of us started. We stepped inside the covers of a book, into the world of endless possibilities.

My story started years ago with a book that may sound like a cliché:  Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I was around seven years old and in first grade. Everyone else was reading picture books or books with the words chopped into syllables. But me? I read Harry's story.




By the time I was in third grade I had read Harry's story a few times and my passion for reading was vanishing quickly. I didn't feel horrible then. I just had so many swimming practises and school and simply there wasn't enough time to read, or so I thought.







Then around fifth grade I stumbled upon Rick Riordan's books and fell in love with his writing style. I devoured the Percy Jackson - books, and Kane Chronicles, as soon as I could get them in my hands. That was the turning point for me. Since then I've been actively reading.




My first crush and love was Maxon from The Selection series. Actually The Selection marked another turning point for me, it was the first book I read entirely in english without having to translate all the words into finnish. From that point on, I can count with my fingers all the books I've read in finnish (educational books don't count).





Around the same time I read The Selection I also read my first classic: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. To a 13-year-old, on the verge of fourteen, it took me a while to get through it, but all the while loving Austen's skill to vow words into beautiful sentences. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to read it again in these, almost, six years, though my plan is to get to read it before the year ends.

 Of course my journey through the world of books has not only been the ones presented here. I lived through the Twilight - phase, loved them at the time, not anymore. Colleen Hoover, Cassandra Clare, John Green, sarah J. Maas, Marie Lu, Diana Gabaldon, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Amanda Hocking, Jennifer Niven, Rosamund Hodge, James Dashner, Veronica Roth, Karen Lynch, Suzanne Collins, Rainbow Rowell, and all the others I didn't name. And as I write, I realise, eventhough I've read hundreds of books, I haven't read even actually even begun my journey through the world of books. I've only crossed the threshold. And that is the greatest thing about the world of the printed words.


No comments:

Post a Comment