10 Aug 2016

Review: Kings or Pawns


★★★★☆

I had no idea that a bunch of old guys could be so entertaining.... No, seriously.

When you start a book, you begin to look for the ending. Does the boy get the girl? Will the world be saved? And so on. And to me that was the hardest part. I couldn't get into the story properly until I stopped looking for the ending. And oh my sweet morning latte with extra espresso, did it get good. And when I talk about good, I mean good.

The story is told from multiple point of views, which in the beginning might be slightly confusing, but after a few chapters you'll get used to it. It actually only compliments the story, since the book is about politics and war of elven kingdom, there never is only one side to the happenings. And usually there were a bit more than three fingers in the pot. Which made Kings or Pawns awesome.

I'm not into politics at all, but this, wow. After the first few chapters I felt so captivated that I didn't want to stop. The plans to destroy others, while gaining personal profit were great. They even got me, even though I knew they were going to happen. This book kept me on my toes until the very last word. And a bit beyond.

As for characters I have to say that none of them were left unfinished, which usually is the problem while handling such a huge group. Also the differences between character's personalities and differences in their social statuses could be found clear as a day on the page. The relations between all of them was The Thing. When one wanted to win a war, the next wanted to control the king, while the next one wanted to take over the kingdom.

I still don't think I've found the right words to describe this book. Just raw emotions, politics, and absolute brilliance.

Thank you J.J. Sherwood for giving this book for reading and reviewing! I am hugely excited for the next one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment